Druckansicht der Internetadresse:

Faculty of Biology, Chemistry and Earth Sciences

Graduate Program (M.Sc.) - Global Change Ecology

print page

FAQ for the online application

 Regarding the application requirements


 Which documents do I need to hand in?

 1. Letter of motivation (max. 2 pages) stating the skills and expertise that qualify you for the study program,

2. Bachelor certificate including academic transcript**

3. Confirmations of stays abroad, internships and language courses (if applicable),

4. Certificate of general university entrance qualification* as additional information,

5. Curriculum vitae (containing a photo) as additional information.

* The "certificate of general university entrance qualification" means a document that allows you to enroll in a University, usually a high school diploma (equivalent to the German "Abitur", containing subjects and grades) and/or an university entrance test.

** If you also have completed a Master, Postgraduate or other degree or are currently enrolled in a program, please also send us your transcript of records and certificate.


High school and university transcripts should be provided in English. Please provide attested copies where translations were needed.


Which additional documents can I supply?

Additional documents can include confirmations of stays abroad, e.g.documents attesting semesters abroad, or language certificates as well as internships, field trips or participation in research projects. If you have confirmations of specific qualifications, such as stipends, awards, extra-curricular courses and activities, APS, etc. please add them as well to "Confirmations of stays abroad, internships and language courses" as one combined pdf. These are not mandatory for admission, but they will help us to understand your individual background and motivation for studying Global Change Ecology. If you do not have such certificates, we recommend you attach special importance to your letter of motivation.


Do I need German language proficiency to take the courses of this Program?

All courses are taught in English.

However, proof of knowledge of German language at least level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages for international applicants is required latest by the end of the second semester.

The Language Center (Sprachenzentrum) offers German courses for the students. Click the following link for more information (www.sz.uni-bayreuth.de/).

I am just finishing my degree and do not have the certificate yet. What should I do?

Please submit your official transcript of records showing that you have completed at least 135 ECTS. If you can obtain a confirmation of your university that you have completed your coursework and are waiting for your certificate, you may also submit this as additional document.


Regarding the online form

Do I have to apply online?

Yes, please use the following link: https://campusonline.uni-bayreuth.de/ubto/webnav.ini. A submission of printed (certified) copies is not necessary.


Will I receive a confirmation for the submission of my application?

After submitting your documents through the online portal, you will receive a confirmation to the e-mail address you provided.


I did not receive a confirmation, what should I do?

The confirmation e-mail can take some time to arrive after you have successfully submitted your application. Please make sure to check your spam folder. If you are certain that you did not receive a confirmation, kindly send an e-mail to gce@uni-bayreuth.de.



Regarding the selection process


I have submitted my application and received the confirmation. What will happen now?

You will have to pass an aptitude assessment consisting of two parts, a pre-selection by means of the application documents and, in case of a positive result, a colloquy.

The application documents (Bachelor certificate and letter of motivation) are each graded in a decimal, five-step scale from 1 = very good to 5 = not sufficient. In case of applicants (or degrees) from foreign countries grades are converted using country-specific factors. If the sum of the single-weighted letter of motivation and the single-weighted Bachelor certificate does not exceed 4.0 points, he or she will be invited to an individual colloquy (interview, 20-30 min.). Only if the colloquy is graded by “very good” or "good" (1.0 or 2.0 in the five-step scale mentioned above) and the sum of the single-weighted interview and the single-weighted Bachelor certificate does not exceed 4.0 points the whole aptitude assessment procedure is completed successfully.

Schedule of the aptitude assessment:
Phase 1: Submission of application documents from 1st of March to 15th of June
Pre-selection by means of the application documents
Phase 2: In case of a positive pre-selection - Interviews approximately from 18th of June to 20th of July
Admission letter will be send from 18th of June onwards depending on the result and date of the interview.



How will the interviews take place?

Applicants from foreign countries do not have to travel to Bayreuth to participate in the interview. Interviews can also be conducted via online meeting or telephone.


I do not have a Skype Account. What should I do?

We highly recommend to set up an account, as interviews via video conference haven proven more advantageous. If this is not an option for you, it will be possible to conduct the interview via phone.


When will I be notified whether I have been accepted?

The pre-selection by means of the application documents will start as soon as we have received your complete documents. The invitations to the interview (with individual appointments) are planned to be send out close to the application deadline (June 15th). The official letters of admittance are usually send out during July. Enrollment is possible until mid of October.


Further questions


I am an applicant from China, Mongolia or Vietnam. Which special requirements apply for me?

Applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam have to submit an original certificate from the "Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) des Kulturreferats der Deutschen Botschaft" to their application. Please contact the German embassy in your country for more information.


Do I have to provide a TOEFL or IELTS certificate as proof of my English skills?

It is not compulsory to provide certificates applying for Global Change Ecology. However, if you do have proof of your English skills, such as course certificates, confirmation of earlier studies in English or a TOEFL or IELTS test, we recommend to upload these documents.


I wish to apply, but do not have a degree in any of the subjects listed. Can I still apply?

If you feel that your background in your Bachelor is not entirely related to Global Change Ecology, we suggest placing special emphasis on your letter of motivation and why you feel you would be well suited for the study program. Also, providing internships, confirmations of stays abroad or other confirmations showing your engagement in topics related to Global Change Ecology would be beneficial. 



If you have further questions, please contact the coordinators via gce@uni-bayreuth.de.


FacebookTwitterInstagramYoutube-KanalBlogKontakt aufnehmen
This site makes use of cookies More information