To qualify for the international elite graduate program Global Change Ecology (M.Sc.) requires:
1. the general university entrance qualification (i.e. high school diploma), and
2. an excellent Bachelor's degree in biology, hydrology, meteorology, environmental physics, environmental informatics, geoecology, landscape ecology, geography, science of forestry or agricultural science or an equivalent degree, and
3. the successful passing of an aptitude assessment test (Eignungsfeststellungsprüfung) for the international elite graduate program Global Change Ecology at the University of Bayreuth.
Details of the assessment procedure are regularised by the aptitude assessment statute (Eignungsfeststellungssatzung, in German only). For a short description of the procedure in English language see below (paragraph 'Aptitude Assessment Procedure')
15. July 2013 for winter term 2013/2014
Please send the application form to the dean of the faculty of biology, chemistry and geosciences, University of Bayreuth. Further documents required are:
1. Certificate of general university entrance qualification (attested copy) *,
2. Curriculum vitae (containing a photo),
3. Letter of motivation (1 to 2 pages),
4. Bachelor certificate (attested copy, including academic transcript),
5. Confirmations of stays abroad, internships and language courses **,
6. Names and mailing addresses of two scientific references.
Some complemental comments:
* The "certificate of general university entrance qualification" means a document that allows you to enroll in a University, usually a high school diploma (equivalent to the German "Abitur", containing subjects and grades) and/or an university entrance test. In case of applicants from foreign countries there exist some country-specific regulations and grade conversion factors.
** "Confirmation of stays abroad" means documents attesting semsters or language courses abroad as well as internships, field trips or participation in research projects in foreign countries.
international elite graduate program Global Change Ecology (M.Sc.)
Aptitude Assessment Procedure:
As the aptitude assessment statute (Eignungsfeststellungssatzung) is only available in German, a short description of the procedure is given here:
You will have to pass an aptitude assessment test consisting of two parts, a pre-selection by means of the application documents and, in case of a positive result, a colloquy.
The application documents (university entrance qualification, Bachelor certificate and letter of motivation) are each graded in a decimal, five-step scale from 1 = very good to 5 = not sufficient. In case of applicants (or degrees) from foreign countries grades are converted using country-specific factors. If the sum of the single-weighted university entrance qualification, the single-weighted letter of motivation and the double-weighted Bachelor certificate does not exceed 10.0 points and the candidate is among the best-ranked 40 candidates, he or she will be invited to an individual colloquy (interview, 20-30 min.). Only if the colloquy is graded by “very good” (1.0 in the five-step scale mentioned above) the whole aptitude assessment procedure is completed successfully.
As a matter of course both, the letter of motivation has to be be written and the colloquy has to be be attended in English.
For further inquiries regarding to the application form or to the assessment procedure please mail to or call:
Daniela Kretz Tel.: +49 (0)921 55-3905
Dr. Volker Audorff Tel.: +49 (0)921 55-2364