Gaochao Cai: Curriculum Vitae
09/2012 – 01/2018 PhD in soil hydrology. Agrosphere institute, IBG-3, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Jülich, Germany. Thesis: “The impact of soil water distribution on root development and root water uptake of winter wheat.
09/2009 – 06/2012 M.Sc. in Environment Engineering. College of Resources and Environment, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China. Thesis: “The treatment of rural domestic sewage in southern China by constructed wetland”.
09/2005 – 06/2009 B.Sc. in Biotechnology. College of Bioengineering, Hubei University of Technology, Wuhan, China.
Research Techniques and Skills
Instruments: Minirhizotrons, TDR, tensiometers, MPS-2, IC (ion chromatography).
Software: Matlab, Hydrus, Python, Rootfly, Origin, WinRhizo, CAD, Photoshop.
Lab skills: Plant roots, soil physics, and soil nutrient analysis
- Cai, J. Vanderborght, M. Langensiepen, H. Hüging, H. Vereecken. 2017. Root growth, water uptake, and sap flow of winter wheat in response to different soil water availability. Re-submitted to Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS).
- Cai, J. Vanderborght, V. Couvreur, C. Mboh, and H. Vereecken. 2017. Parameterization of root water uptake models considering dynamic root distributions and compensation. Vadose Zone Journal.
- Cai, J. Vanderborght, A. Klotzsche, J. van der Kruk, J. Neumann, N. Hermes, and H. Vereecken. 2016. Construction of Minirhizotron Facilities for Investigating Root Zone Processes. Vadose Zone Journal 15.
- Cai, R.Hu, and S. Liu. 2011. A System Used for Treatment of Southern Rural Domestic Sewage. The patent number: CN102491520B, the certificate number: 1257591 (In Chinese).
- Liu, R. Hu, G. Cai, S. Lin, J. Zhao, Y. Li. 2014. The role of UV-B radiation and precipitation on straw decomposition and topsoil C turnover. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 77: 197-202.
- Liu, R. Hu, J. Zhao, N. Brüggemann, R. Bol, G. Cai, S. Lin, M. Shaaban. 2014. Flooding effects on soil phenol oxidase activity and phenol release during rice straw decomposition. Journal of plant nutrition and soil science 177.4 : 541-547.
- Liu, R. Hu, G. Cai. 2012. Effects of enhanced UV-B radiation on terrestrial ecosystem carbon cycle: A review. Chinese Journal of Applied Ecology 23 (07): 1992-1998
- Cai, J. Vanderborght, V. Couvreur, C. Mboh, M. Javaux, and H. Vereecken. 2016. Parameterization of root water uptake models that consider dynamic root distributions and compensation. Kirkham Conference, Sede Boqer, Israel.
- Cai, J. Vanderborght, V. Couvreur, C. Mboh, M. Javaux, and H. Vereecken. 2015. Comparisons of two root water uptake models based on field observations. Rhizosphere 4, Maastricht, Netherlands.
- Cai, J. Vanderborght, V. Couvreur, M. Javaux, and H. Vereecken. 2015. Simulations and field observations of root water uptake in plots with different soil water availability. EGU, Vienna, Austria.
- Cai, J. Vanderborght, M. Langensiepen, and H. Vereecken. 2014. Effects of soil water availability on water fluxes in winter wheat. AGU, San Francisco, U.S.A.
- Langensiepen, M. Kupisch, G. Cai, J. Vanderborght, A. Stadler, H. Hüging, and F. Ewert. 2014. Wheat Transpiration Response to Soil Heterogeneity. AGU, San Francisco, U.S.A.
- Cai, J. Vanderborght, and H. Vereecken. 2013. The impact of soil water distribution on root growth and root water uptake. TR32-HOBE International Symposium, Bonn, Germany.
Research Experience and Internship
26/6-4/07/2013: Summer school “Roots and Soils – Modelling Approaches” in Montpellier, France
2010-2011: Designed a set of constructed wetlands device for rural sewage treatment in south China, ran and managed it.
10/2010: Determined and analyzed the percolate of Wuhan Aqcell Membrance Technology Co,. Ltd.
12/2009: Determined soil enzymes in four types of soil for Chinese Academy of Forestry Sciences.
10-12/2009: Worked as an assistant in the environmental monitoring laboratory
Honor & Awards
Travel Grant Award to Kirkham conference, Israel, 2015.
Excellent graduate student cadres, Huazhong Agricultural University China, 2011.
Social work prize, Huazhong Agricultural University China, 2010.
Excellent College Student, Hubei University of Technology China, 2008.
Winning Prize of Imagine Cup in Campus, Hubei University of Technology China, 2007.
Excellent College Student, Hubei University of Technology China, 2006.