Mutez Ali AhmedWissenschaftlicher Assistent
Raum: GEO II, 1.05
I received my B.Sc. (Agricultural Engineering, Hons, Class one) and M.Sc. (Agricultural Engineering, Distinction) from Department of Agricultural Engineering, University of Khartoum and PhD (summa cum laude) from University of Göttingen, Germany. I was an Assistant Professor of Soil-Plant Interaction at the Department of Land, Air and Water Resources, University of California, Davis from 2021-2023. As of 02/2023, I'm a Professor of Root-Soil Interaction at the School of Life Sciences, Technical University of Munich and a research associate at the Chair of Soil Physics, University of Bayreuth.
The primary objective of my research is to understand the basis of crop adaptation to water-limited environment. I am particularly interested in identifying roots and rhizosphere traits that improve the acquisition of resources from soil.
- Cai G, Carminati A, Glesen S, Javaux M, Ahmed MA (2023) Soil-plant hydraulics explain stomatal efficiency-safety tradeoff. Plant, Cell and Environment.
- Cai G, Ahmed MA (2022) The role of root hairs in water uptake: recent advances and future perspectives. Journal of Experimental Botany.
- Duddek P, Carminati A, Koebernick N, Ohmann L, Lovric G, Delzon S, Rodriguez‐Dominguez CM, King A, Ahmed MA (2022) The impact of drought-induced root and root hair shrinkage on root-soil contact. Plant Physiology.
- Cai G, König M, Carminati A Abdalla M, Javaux M, Wankmüller F, Ahmed MA (2022) Transpiration response to soil drying and vapor pressure deficit is soil texture specific. Plant and Soil.
- Abdalla M, Ahmed MA, Cai G, Schwartz N, Litig O, Javaux M, Carminati A (2022) Stomatal closure during water deficit is controlled by belowground hydraulics. Annals of Botany, 129: 161-170.
- Jorda H, Ahmed MA, Javaux M, Carminati A, Duddek P, Vetterlein D, Vanderborght J (2022) Field scale plant water relation of maize (Zea mays) under drought – impact of root hairs and soil texture. Plant and Soil.
- Abdalla M, Carminati A, Cai G, Javaux M, Ahmed MA (2021) Stomatal closure of tomato under drought is driven by an increase in soil-root hydraulic resistance. Plant, Cell and Environment.
- Abdalla M and Ahmed MA (2021) Arbuscular mycorrhiza symbiosis enhances water status and soil-plant hydraulic conductance of tomato under drought. Frontiers in Plant Science.
- Nazari M, Riebeling S, Banfield C, Akale A, Mason-Jones K, Dippold MA, Ahmed MA (2020) Mucilage polysaccharide composition and exudation in maize from contrasting climatic regions. Frontiers in Plant Science.
- Ahmed MA, Passioura, JB, Carminati A (2018) Hydraulic processes in roots and the rhizosphere pertinent to increasing yield of water-limited grain crops: a critical review. Journal of Experimental Botany, 69: 3255–3265.
- Ahmed MA, Zarebanadkouki M, Meunier F, Javaux M, Kaestner A, Carminati A (2018) Root type matters: measurement of water uptake by seminal, crown and lateral roots in maize. Journal of Experimental Botany, 69:1199–1206.
- Ahmed MA, Sanaullah M, Blagodatskaya E, Mason-Jones K, Jawad H, Kuzyakov Y, Dippold MA (2018) Soil microorganisms exhibit enzymatic and priming response to root mucilage under drought. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 116, 410-418.
- Ahmed MA, Banfield CC, Sanaullah M, Gunina A, Dippold MA (2018) Utilisation of mucilage C by microbial communities under drought. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 54: 83-94.
Texture Dependency of Arbuscular Mycorrhiza-induced Plant Drought Tolerance Site: Germany; Funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), Grant: 221,318 € (2023-2026); Role: PI
- Assessing the potential of regenerative agriculture to support soil health and carbon sequestration; Site: USA; Funded by the California Department of Food and Agriculture, Grant: 1,004,522 $ (2022-2025); Role: PI
- Emerging effects of root hairs on plant scale soil water relations (2nd phase); Site: Germany (As part of priority program SPP2089: Rhizosphere spatiotemporal organisation – a key to rhizosphere function); Funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), Grant: 452,684 € (2022-2025); Role: PI
- More crop per drop for sub-Saharan Africa: Key rhizosphere traits to overcome multiple resource limitation; Site: Germany, Kenya, Ethiopia and India. Funded by Robert Bosch Foundation; Grant: 998,992 € (2017-2022); Role: Co-PI
- Emerging effects of root hairs and mucilage on plant scale soil water relations (1st phase); Site: Germany (As part of priority program SPP2089: Rhizosphere spatiotemporal organisation – a key to rhizosphere function); Funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG); Grant: 485,269 € (2018-2022); Role: PI
- Root hydraulics: towards answering the recent global questions on root functionality and possible use in crop improvement programs; Site: Germany and India (in collaboration with the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT); Funded by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD); Role: PI
>> Curriculum Vitae
>> Angebotene Abschlussarbeiten
>> Betreute Abschlussarbeiten